Monday, January 27, 2014



BAND PRACTICE

 There seems to be a common theme to my band practices, however long or short they may be. This theme is that; The less clothes I wear and/or the sillier clothes that I wear the more I can channel my "creative energy". Now this sounds insane, absurd, maybe a little stroke of genius but all in all it works for me. Take for instance, the time in zach's barn. (the first Little League Champs practice) the rest of the band had given up today saying that we had "no direction" and "we couldn't possibly write a song, we aren't musicians" Zach (the drummer and honestly the talent) and myself (the guitar player and comic relief) refused to accept that. After 30 more minutes of racket, I decided that it was entirely too hot to be practicing in jeans and a t-shirt. So, I stripped down to my boxers and played the first riff that came to mind. That sparked instantly (not me being naked, but the riff) in zach's eyes and he created a cool double time beat. When the rest of our band had returned zach and I were in our boxers playing a full 2:30 minute song we had created in half an hour. Andrew (our vocalist and ultimately the band's demise) asked, "how did you guys come up with this?" and zach blurted "ALEX TOOK OFF HIS PANTS AND STARTED TO PLAY THE GUITAR REAL GOOD" everyone soon followed suit and we ended up creating a full song together, horrible singing in all. So in Little League Champs, when we wanted to write, it started with the band members wearing the least amount of clothes possible. But never naked...that would be weird. And for the sake of zach's grandmother. She's old and we didn't want her to eliminate our practice spot. 

Throughout the years of playing in 3 bands this theme has stuck with me whether I was playing guitar or yelling in some punk band. Clothes just kinda restricted my creative mojo. No one has really seemed to mind...yet but I don't really ask for their opinion. Also, no band really likes the idea of doing this either. But i will continue to do so until this it fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment